Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Long and drawn out and probably of no interest to anyone... but please love me anyhow...

Ok, just scatting here, so check it out...
Uhh, it seems like something was going on last week, can't remember, but dig this, we had this big ass meeting here on Thursday, had it scheduled for 5pm to 6:30. I figured I wouldn't be able to get home when it was over if I stayed so I left early. Didn't figure there would really be anything that I needed to know about, but I did hear rumours that there was going to be some talk about the dress code. I figured it would be just a reminder, like, HEY, you know we have this dress code so stop dressing like a bum. Not for me, but some of the other folks, I always look smooth...
Anyhow, I came in the next morning, being Friday and casual day, still looking nice, but wondering if there had been any extreme messages given on the policy. As soon as I got in the dude next to me is all like, HEY!!! Did you hear about the dress code? and I was like NO! So we went over it and I was all like, HOLY SHIT!!!
No more comfortable shoes
No more polo shirts (except on Fridays, whew)
No jeans unless they are "dress" jeans.
and assorted other heavy heavy stuff.
So of course I am not pleased about this development, tried to figure out a way to wiggle out of it, like maybe it didn't apply to me or there was just a horrible horrible mistake. Perhaps it was a bad joke. Apparently not, according to my boss, X-Khan.
I joked, I was going to make a game of it, do like a Men in Black thing, you know, make dress up fun...
So I rolled with it and decided to do some shopping on Saturday, so I did.
Went to Poverty Bay and got some coffee and some cold brew espresso and a 16oz iced Americano, yumm... Since I was so close I stopped in at the computer store and got 2 512mb sticks of Ram to add to my computer... really wanted to do this for some time, really really wanted to...
Then I ran on down to the supermall and got some new fancy shoes, and a couple pairs of chinos and 4 button down shirts (maybe 5)... I really hated doing this, but I kept telling myself it weren't no thing and it would actually be good for me...
Ran around and finally got home, showed off my new clothes then dug right into the computer. Now, some of you might disagree or something, but adding Ram to a computer is really super easy, hell, all you got to do is find the slot and stick it in, and I'm a pro at that, if you know what I mean, but... Sometimes you go digging for the slot and start sticking things in and all hell breaks loose, you know... I am still not really sure what happened, I know there was a lot of noise and it was really dusty and my lovely wife was sitting on the couch, I remember she asked me if I knew what I was doing, I believe I said something along the lines of Hell Yes... So I jammed the Ram in the slots and was all proud of myself for a job well done, and I hit the power button on the computer and POOF! Well, it wasn't so much poof as it was shooting sparks and flames and such. I blew on the flames, I took a can of air and blasted the flames, but it just seemed to fuel the fire, for some reason... Now, it wasnn't like some major movie special affects where there were explosions and shit, it was just some popping and little tiny glowing flames on the motherboard. I tried to keep it cool, I turned off the power and tried to see if I could salvage things... I removed some of the Ram and hit the power button, and it went beep beep beep. So I removed some and swapped it out and hit the power and it went beep beep beep.
I took a peak at my old lady and she was looking at me like I was a major disappointment... I grabbed the laptop and sat on the couch next to her and started using the google to figure out what I already knew, that the computer was pooched... Blew the motherboard... fuck...
So I started shopping for a new one, hey, thats fun... but I didn't want to get windows Vista, blah blah blah, send in rebates, blah blah, etc...
Anywho, so I went to the Opera on Sunday... La Boheme... it was cool, we were way up high and dressed shabbily, comparitively speaking... I didn't want to enjoy it, it was 3 hours long and such, but I really did... but even though I enjoyed it I wanted some sort of, I don't know, compensation or dispensation or something, you know, for going outside the box or something... hard to explain...
I believe the trouble is probably that I am having my Manses... my time of the month or something... feeling moody and uncomfortable lately... anyhow...
So sunday evening I find a computer I wanted, a bare bones system that should just scream... right at about $300, and I can salvage the rest of the parts from my old one, sweet eh?
Monday my lovely sweet wife went to the computer store and picked it up for me, so I busted my ass home and dug right into that one... put in the big ass power supply from my old comp, tons of power you dig, no problem... but the dvd rom and dvd burner in, sweet, no problem, put the 2 hard drives in, piece of cake... put in the audio card, cool... grabbed the video card and tried to fit that in... uhh, it don't fit, what the hell?!? Oh, it is a AGP card and I don't have a AGP slot, but I do have a nice PCI express slot... damn, so I gotta get a new video card, ok, no problem, in the meantime I will just plug the monitor into the onboard video place thing, uhh, except it doesn't have one... shit... ok, lets move on, I will get everything else hooked up and worry about the card later... so I grab the skinny ide cord and plug it in to the mother board and am thinking, hmmnn, should I plug it in to the dvd's or the harddrive... well, lets see, where is the other plug so I can figure out the best way to route the cords... uhh, where is the other plug/slot place... uhh, wtf?!?! where is it... uhhh, there isn't one... uhhh, shit... apparently this motherboard is so fancy I only have 1 place to plug in the one cord thing but 6 places to plug in this hardcore Sata lines... but my harddrives are Ide... uhh, shit... uhhh...
so I get all cranky and start feeling down on myself... goddamnit... So I do some research and find that they sell these adapters, Sata to Ide... but they are like $30 bucks a piece, and a new video card runs from $50 to $5 gajillion dollars... damn...
So I research and sweat and research some more and finally call the computer store and ask if they have these adapters and they tell me they sure do... sweet...
So I bust my ass home, planning on what I am going say when I get to the computer store so they don't think I'm a freakin' idiot... make sure I have all the acronyms correct, sound like I know what I am doing...
I bust my ass to the store and ask them, hey, wheres the sata to ide adapters, and the dude is all like, uh, well, we have ide to sata but not sata to ide (there IS a difference). So I am all like, WTF?!? but don't know enough about technology to be overly indignant... I hem and haw a bit and the dude shows me this PCI card that I can hook everything up to... and it is cheaper, so sweet... yeah, I am so happy that when I ask about the video card and the guy grabs one that is almost double what I was planning on spending I didn't say a damn thing... just paid and left...
Decided to read the instructions, just in case, you know, make sure nothing exploded... put it all together and finally turned it on... the power came on, the screen flashed, said some stuff, rebooted... turned back on, said some stuff, rebooted, over and over... hmmnn...
So I went through all our drawers and found our XP disc, stuck that in, the light came on, the computer screen flashed, said some shit, turned off, turned back on, etc... shit, I tried a couple things, nothing worked, finally started hitting random buttons, suddenly I got something new, something that I wanted... sweet... tried to follow the directions and, of course, that didn't work, tried following some instructions I found on the interwebs, and that didn't work, computer kept restarting and flashing this blue screen at me for about half a second... finally did the opposite of what the instructions said and, duh duh duh duuuhhhh... success... kinda... had to completely reinstall windows... lost a bunch of stuff, which was not a problem, because according to my old lady she wanted me to just get the damn thing up and running and had already written off the stuff she was hoping for... I finally, somehow, and with great joy, was able to get online and start downloading all the updates on the microsoft website for the last couple years... dude, there were 59 critical updates, it took for friggin ever to download them and get them installed...
Long story short, I have been hella frustrated for the last few days and am ready to scream at someone... so help me Jesus (heh)...

Labels: , ,